‘ The Knowledge: How to Rebuild our World from Scratch’ is a New York Times and Sunday Times best-seller, and also The Sunday Times ‘New Thinking’ Book of the Year.
Maybe it was a viral pandemic, or an asteroid strike, or perhaps nuclear war. Whatever the cause, the world as we know it has ended and you and the other survivors must start again. What key knowledge would you need to start rebuilding civilisation from scratch?
Once you’ve scavenged what you can, how do you begin producing the essentials? How do you grow food, generate power, prepare medicines, or get metal out of rocks? Could you avert another Dark Ages or take shortcuts to accelerate redevelopment?
Living in the modern world, we have become disconnected from the basic processes that support our lives, as well as the beautiful fundamentals of science that enable you to relearn things for yourself.
The Knowledge is a journey of discovery, a book which explains everything you need to know about everything. This is a quickstart guide for rebooting civilisation which will transform your understanding of the world – and help you prepare for when it’s no longer here…
- The Sunday Times ‘New Thinking’ Book of the Year 2014
- The Times Science Book of the Year 2014
- Kobo Best Non-Fiction 2014
- io9 Best Science Books of 2014
- New Scientist Great Popular Science Books for Christmas 2014
- Shortlisted for Transmission Prize 2016 (supported by Foyles)
- Shortlisted for Science Book of the Year by German magazine Bild Der Wissenschaft, 2015
Recommended on BestBooks